The Westlake | Bay Village Observer is is written by volunteers. People like you!
Want to write an article? Login to the Member Center. This is where all the magic happens. From this page, you can submit stories and events and upload photos. It's easy and fun. And you can work on a story online, before you send it to our community editors.
No Experience Necessary! It does not matter if you are a professional or amateur, our editorial staff will be glad to have you.
Photoblogs: If you would like to create a slideshow of pictures on the website, sign up in the Member Center and tell us in the "Member Bio" section that you're interested in creating a photoblog.
Newspaper Delivery: We can always use help delivering the print edition of the Observer! If you'd like to help distribute the paper to local establishments, give us a call at (440) 409-0114, or send an email to email@example.com.
Need to learn a few basics about writing a news article? Follow this step by step guide to a good article:
1. Decide what your article will be about.
2. Research the topic of your article. Expressing your opinion is fine, but please back it up with facts.
3. First paragraph: In the first few sentences, answer these questions!
4. Grab the reader's attention by using an opening sentence which is a question or something unexpected!
5. Now, give the details. It is always a good idea to include one or two quotes from people you interviewed. Write in the third person (he, she, it or they). Be objective. Use active verbs so the reader feels things are really happening!
6. Last paragraph: Round off your article. Try ending with a quote or a catchy phrase!
7. Proof-read your article and edit where needed.
8. Spell check your article!
9. Send it in to the Westlake | Bay Village Observer.
Adapted from "How to write a newspaper article" by Bedfordshire Libraries
For for information about citizen journalism, as well as tips on how to select a topic, write a story and conduct an interview, check out Douglas McGill's LOUDMOUTH Citizen Journalism Manual.