Want to be a writer? We’d love to hear from you! Here are some guidelines to keep in mind when writing for the Observer:
- Aim for 300-500 words. More or less is fine, depending on the story.
- Check your facts. Take the extra time to ensure accuracy.
- Submit original stories and photos. Don’t copy others’ work and remember to credit your sources.
- Do not "borrow" photos from internet sources. Always provide the full URL or photographer's name for every photo submitted.
- Be respectful of others.
- Write for the community. Your stories will be read by people throughout Westlake and Bay (and beyond) so keep the audience in mind when choosing topics.
- Know you’ll be edited. All stories pass through an editor who reviews stories for spelling and grammar. We try to keep the news as “unfiltered” as possible, but reserve the right to edit length and content if necessary.
- Disclose your affiliation. If you have a personal or business relationship with the subject of your story, let your readers know.
- Ask questions! We’re here to help you at every step along the way. Don’t hesitate to come to us for advice or help with topics, content or the submission process. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.